Ex-Cel: Show God Out!

Many City Harvesters would agree that last week's CG sermon was tremendous and powerful. First of all, beyond all the revelations, I felt that it was a message that challenged our thinking and mindsets and propelled us to another level of faith altogether.

What is excellence? Its root word - Excel is made up of two words: Ex - pre-fix for 'out', and El - name of God (as in El-ohim). So, being an excellent person means we must be people who shows God out of our lives! Even if we do well in everything that we do in terms of our studies, our career, our ministry, etc.. if we don't show out God through our lives, actions and speech, we are only by the best standards, 'mediocre'. We can only be excellent if we show God out clearly in our lives.

This new revelation set me on a new outlook on myself. I thought I was someone who pursued excellence all my life. I had prided myself on being a carrier of the spirit of excellence. Yet, many a times, I do not deny I do things with the hope that someone will recognise the effort and praise me for it. Of course, there were many times when I solely did it unto the Lord, but 100% of the time. I still seek approval from man, hoping to get some affirmation of my capabilities and abilities. I am afterall human, right?

Well.. there's nothing wrong with wanting recognition and assurance from man. In fact, if you say you have never felt that way before, I would call you a liar. Jesus said 'No one is good, except God'. It means nobody is like God who is so selfless that He sent His only begotten Son to die for our sins on the cross. Human beings will always have a streak of selfishness within us. No one is perfect.

As I reflect upon myself, I could remember times when I am not excellent even though I had put in my best standards in the work I deliver. Cos I failed to show forth God in the things that I do. Our God is an excellent God. Surely, we must act in similar ways if we are to be called His children? If I don't show forth God in my everyday life, am I still fulfilling the purpose of God in my life??

The thought humbles me. Because I know, no matter how hard I try to serve my pastors, serve my members, serve my family, serve my superiors, serve my colleagues, if I did not do it to show love (or God, since God is love) then I am only mediocre.

I pray that I will always remember the reason why I serve, and the reason why I do the things I do. God has empowered me to do everything, and I want to do everything to show more of God in my life and through my actions and words.

God must come out in my life!

Comments

Popular Posts