Job = Misery?

Have been talking to some people recently about their jobs and working life in general. It seems that many people are not happy with their jobs and often, working equates to misery to them.

I am someone who's born lazy. I am embarrassed to admit that, but apologetically, I am really like that. How many times have I mentioned this in my blog before, but if given a choice, I would laze around at home all day long doing nothing but eating chips and watching TV. If given a choice, I woud gladly give up the opportunity to be a successful career woman who's financially independent, to become a full time housewife taking care of my kids at home. And I promise I won't be grouchy aand turn yellow in my face.

Yet, laziness is really not in the plan of God. His original intention for man is to work hard, be efficient and productive. Guess why Adam was placed in the Garden of Eden with lots of work to do everyday? Because that huge amount of efficiency, productiveness and energy has been deposited in man. Right from the point of creation.

It is very sad though, that many people work for the sake of working. No choice, have to support the family. Needed the money.

Have you gone through days where you cursed under your breath when your alarm clock goes off in the morning and you thought you just closed your eyes 5 minutes ago? Then came the MRT ride which was, as usual, packed with sleeping people who are seated down and expressionless faces of people standing, all praying hard that the person right infront of him or her will get down at the next station. The moment you step into office, you just felt that life is so miserable that you make a decision to just go through the motion and do your work silently at your cubicle the whole day while waiting for 6pm to arrive. The whole time, wishing that your boss would not make a pitstop at your workstation.

I have!

And frankly speaking, it can be quite depressing if work is all about that. Going through motion, staying out of trouble, slog for the sake of money, passing through life.

The truth is we are all full time ministers of God and part time employee at wherever you are working now. And that means our primary job description is not our job, but fulfilling the purpose and reason that God has placed us in our job for.

Personally, I do not think the reason why God wants us to work in a job is to get money to live on. Because if that is the only reason, God could have done it in a variety of other different methods. Such as dropping a bag of gold from heaven. Or better still, manna in different flavours ("cheese, pepperoni or BBQ for you, miss?? Sky-juice to go along? :)").

We're to be the light and salt of the world. Notice: Light must be seen and salt must be tasted. It would be totally meaningless if we KNOW we are the light and salt of the world, yet people around us DON'T, because they can't see or taste it.

My brother always asks me why I am always very enthusiastic about my jobs, from before until now as a church staff. I truthfully think it's not because every job I land in are so interesting and fulfilling. But because I consciously find reasons to like my job.

Before I stepped into full time ministry, I always remind myself that I am only passing time until God opens the door to full time ministry. And since I am not going to be in the job for long, I might as well enjoy myself. Even if there is an irritating boss, I will console myself that at least I have great colleagues who are suffering together with me. If the colleagues are horrible, I thank God that at least I can still handle my work. If my work is horrendous, I will find joy in dressing up for work everyday. Somehow, I will just find a way to encourage myself.

You may find that every self-deceiving, but I believe that is the reason why I can derive joy from a mundane working life, which gives me the boost to carry on to do what God wants me to do - Be a light and a salt.

Imagine a grouchy and discouraged colleague who looks sian all the time and declines to fellowship with colleagues inviting you to the most exciting church in town. I will think twice about it. And start to doubt that the church is really that good afterall.

It's funny when we think about it, but actually not that funny anymore when we realise the gravity of our problem when we hate our job and feel lethargic about going to work everyday. It is serious because God cannot use us to impact the marketplace the way we are supposed to. We just waste time working day in and day out so that we can get money to carry on living. What kind of life is that??

It's different when I view my job as an avenue to touch lives. We don't necessary have to successfully bring our colleagues to church. But I promise you, by touching them with your own lifestyle and joy, you could be the main reason why that colleague will walk down the altar call one day.

Of course, you may wonder how you can touch your colleagues' lives. But it's very strange, the moment we decide that we want to live for God in the area of our jobs, God will open doors and make oppportunities for us to minister to someone at our workplace. It first takes a willing heart for God to move.

Working life need not be boring. It can be very colourful and exciting if we can see the wonderful plans of God behind it all.

Comments

Popular Posts