The Killer Called Procrastination


When I go back to heaven and meet Jesus one day, and He asks me what is one thing I wish I didn't have in my lifetime on earth, I would surely say, 'Procrastination'.



My number one enemy has got to be procrastination. I mean, I have confidence in my work attitude, the quality of my work, spirit of excellence etc, but I am sorely defeated by procrastination. When I meet aspects of work which I do not especially enjoy doing, I would chuck it aside until it's critically necessary to start working on it. Sigh, does it happen to you? I hope it does, so I am not the only loser around. =P

The scary thing is that procrastination can become an obsession. It is a comfort zone that I escape to whenever I am faced with things I didn't feel like doing at that point in time. There is a stack of papers on my table, which I see everyday and know that something got to be done to it, but I keep telling myself, 'TOMORROW'. And the stack keeps piling higher and higher..

To encourage myself though, overcoming procrastination is one of my daily prayers to God, and I have seen improvements in myself really. One of the things I do to counter procrastination is to start working on it immediately when I get the task. That way, I will kick start the whole process and I will work on it bit by bit until it's completed. Once I put it aside for 'KIV', I might never start on it at all. Or I may frantically try to find that piece of paper when someone chases me for the reply or the status. (!!)

As for the stack of papers that required my attention, I worked on them yesterday and there was a VAST SENSE OF ACHIEVEMENT after that! I love the feeling of shredding and throwing away unwanted papers because it meant I am accomplishing them bit by bit. Works very much like detoxification. Throw away the unwanted stuffs so that we feel cleaner and healthier. =D
I am quite sure I will have alot more to say about this topic of decluttering and throwing away unwanted stuffs later on, since I will be preparing to shift house very soon. Let the packing (and throwing) begin!


The essence of procrastination is very well reflected in this quote by Bernard Meltzer:
"Hard work is often the easy work you did not do at the proper time."

Comments

Serene said…
Don't worry, you are not alone... at least i'm definitely with you... but u have made progress on it... me still trying hard to start on it... =P
Anonymous said…
Nice post about procrastination! I like the different colors of the post... and I know the "tomorrow" feeling can suck.

I found this guys website and I committed to ending my procrastination...

I worked with time management and after a lot of hard work on MYSELF I started to get over it...

Have a nice day and keep up the cute relationship you got going...

- Chris

PS: since then I've tried "passing it on" as an owner of www.instantlystopprocrastination.com

Popular Posts