Quarreling Is Good?
Suddenly had this thought in my mind because of what I heard on radio yesterday. Many people say that couples who quarrel do so because they care for each other. Every couple quarrel and quarrelling may not be a bad thing in a relationship because it aids understanding and pulls the two closer together.
I agree with the notion to a certain extent, but I do not agree that couples have to quarrel in order to become closer together.
My hubby is my first & only boyfriend, and throughout our 10 years of courtship, I can count, with 1 hand, the number of quarrels we’ve had in that 3650 days we’ve been together. I am not sure whether that is good or bad, but we’re still going strong after so long, so I guess it’s not so bad after all. I’ve couple friends who quarrel almost everyday and are still very much in love, and those others who eventually break up because they quarreled too much. So I guess there’s no model answer to this one.
I hate to quarrel with my hubby. I mean, who likes to be in cold wars and literally ignoring the one or being ignored by the one who matters the most to you in this universe, right? The feeling is horrible! And I can’t stand being in that feeling for one second more than I can help it!
And so, being a woman, I tend to like to talk things through and get the issues settled ASAP. I am in this relationship for the long haul, and so there’s nothing that cannot be resolved. Either I got to change, or my hubby’s got to change, as simple as that. And I am glad to say that although guys tend to prefer cold wars rather than talking it out openly, my hubby has become more open over the years.
It used to be, many years ago when we were still boyfriend & girlfriend, that he would refuse to call me for days when we had an argument over something. It would then be a battle of patience, to see who cannot take it any longer and call the other party first. Haha, those were the days! Now, my hubby seldom does that anymore. He would tell me if he is unhappy about certain things, and not leave me guessing why his face is so black. It is a good thing! Honesty & openness is always appreciated, and it’s an important need to a woman! =D
And while I used to take things for granted when I was younger, naively thinking that my relationship with Isaiah will go strong forever and ever until the end of the world, I now no longer think that way. I still have lots of faith in our relationship, but I know I have to make effort to keep it going strong. I cannot take for granted that I can do nothing & nothing bad will happen. Like what Pastor Kong shared during the relationship series, we have to constantly invest time & effort into nurturing our relationships. Not because I have to, but because I treasure my relationship with my hubby so much that I will do all that it takes to protect it. And I am so glad that my hubby is my hubby. I wouldn’t exchange him for anyone else.
Treasure the relationships in your life! They’ll shape us into who we are tomorrow. :)
I have no idea why I am talking about all these. Hope at least you are a little inspired! Haha!
Comments
We promised each other to clear the 'air' within 48 hours when we got married. I think its been kept so far. :)
marriage is worth working for and working at!