A Good Woman

Did someone comment before that the bible is as subtle as it gets?

I DISAGREE.

I say, no other books in the world is as EXPLICIT as the bible. Every word written in it is SO OUTRIGHTLY OBVIOUS that you’ll be a fool not to know what it’s trying to say.

Lifted this passage off a colleague’s blog and as I read it, I am amazed at how precise our God is. Though it’s not the first time I’m seeing this passage, it just speaks into my heart once again. The power of God’s Word.

* * *

Proverbs 31:10-31 (MSG)

A good woman is hard to find, 
   and worth far more than diamonds.

Her husband trusts her without reserve, 
   and never has reason to regret it.

Never spiteful, she treats him generously 
   all her life long.

She shops around for the best yarns and cottons, 
   and enjoys knitting and sewing.

She's like a trading ship that sails to faraway places 
   and brings back exotic surprises.

She's up before dawn, preparing breakfast 
   for her family and organizing her day.

She looks over a field and buys it
   then, with money she's put aside, plants a garden.

First thing in the morning, she dresses for work
   rolls up her sleeves, eager to get started.

She senses the worth of her work, 
   is in no hurry to call it quits for the day.

She's skilled in the crafts of home and hearth, 
   diligent in homemaking.

She's quick to assist anyone in need, 
   reaches out to help the poor.

She doesn't worry about her family when it snows; 
   their winter clothes are all mended and ready to wear.

She makes her own clothing, 
   and dresses in colorful linens and silks.

Her husband is greatly respected 
   when he deliberates with the city fathers.

She designs gowns and sells them, 
   brings the sweaters she knits to the dress shops.

Her clothes are well-made and elegant, 
   and she always faces tomorrow with a smile.

When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say, 
   and she always says it kindly.

She keeps an eye on everyone in her household
   and keeps them all busy and productive.

Her children respect and bless her
   her husband joins in with words of praise:

"Many women have done wonderful things, 
   but you've outclassed them all!"

Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades. 
   The woman to be admired and praised 
   is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-God.

* * *

Now  everybody repeat after me, ‘IT’S HARD TO BE A GOOD WOMAN!’

Lynda-Carter---Wonder-Woman-Photograph-C10101726

~ A Wonder Woman, no less ~

-

Let me just summarize in my own words, what a good woman has to do (corresponding to the words in red):

clip_image001 A good woman should not talk spitefully to her husband at all times, and that of course includes quarrelling time. No sarcasm. No malicious words.

clip_image001[1] A good woman should treat her husband with generosity – and that means giving of her time, energy, effort and love without being calculative.

clip_image001[2] A good woman enjoys knitting & sewing (!!!??) – I think this speaks of virtuousness.

clip_image001[3] A good woman wakes up real early (opps.)

clip_image001[4] A good woman makes good & wise purchases – speaks of a wise mind with a flaire for business.

clip_image001[5] A good woman dresses for work – THIS, I LIKE. This means I should buy lots of beautiful clothes. Hey, the bible says so!

clip_image001[6] A good woman is eager to work – Obviously cannot be a tai tai who only goes for afternoon teas!

clip_image001[7] A good woman is skilled & diligent – This is as plain as it sounds.

clip_image001[8] A good woman reaches out to help the poor – Which just means she has the means to do it! So, she’s not poor! Speaks of a good steward of finances.

clip_image001[9] A good woman doesn’t worry – Speaks of someone who plans well & ahead.

clip_image001[10] A good woman dresses in colorful linens – THIS, I LIKE TOO! For obvious reasons. :)

clip_image001[11] A good woman is always positive – This is really nice. ‘Always look on the bright side of life.. woo hoo..’

clip_image001[12] A good woman is kind with her words – Speaks of someone who always edifies and never puts down.

clip_image001[13] A good woman keeps an eye on everyone in the household – She makes sure everyone’s needs are taken care of and is sensitive and meticulous to things happening around her.

clip_image001[14] A good woman’s kids respect her – This is super nice. (Respect is the thing I’m trying to drill into my three-year-old now. Futile so far, but I’m getting there, trust me.)

clip_image001[15] A good woman lives in the fear of the Lord – Ah ha! Now we get to the crux of the matter. By my own strength, I’ll never become the good woman. I need God’s strength!

-

Woman, are you inspired??

I sure am!! =)

Comments

Fang said…
ooohh, i like this! Tall order, but nevertheless a good goal to aim towards!
Mummy Kless said…
Tall order indeed! But I'm amazed it didn't mention anything about cooking dinner for the family!
Unknown said…
I really like the MSG's version of this chapter. Inspiring! I will try!
Fang said…
juz saw ur comment...haiyaz, then the dinner I cooked tonight was in vain! kekeke

Popular Posts