death?

Just finished watching a hongkong drama on SCV Channel 61. it's a very old movie, but somehow it captivated me because of the dramatic ups and downs in the storyline. Movie talks about three sworn brothers who grew up together and one day decided to kidnap someone because they just got sick of being poor. Events happened, and they killed the person in the end, and escaped with alot of money. Towards the middle of the movie, the three of them got arrested and sentenced to death (not after alot of exciting scenes of jumping from buildings to buildings trying to escape for their dear lives...).

The last part of the movie talks in depth about their feelings and emotions during the last few hours of their lives. Their family members were told to visit them & see them for one last time at 5pm before their execution at 6pm. What followed was alot of crying (me included) where I felt that the actors really pulled off a good one. For one of them, the wife brought all 7 children to see the dad, and everyone just cried and cried.... For another, because he is the super filial son, he refused to see his mum when she came to visit him, and she resorted to writing a super touching letter to his son.. The third, waited and waited for the wife to appear but she did not, because while she was rushing to prisons, she fell down the stairs and had a miscarriage, only waking up at the hospital at 5.30pm. And of cos she frantically rushed to the prisons only to be told that the husband has already been sent to the gallows.

Before you start yawning.. the real reason why I wrote this entry is because the movie got me thinking about death. If you did not know when you are dying, and you just did, at least it's not so horrible because you won't anticipate its coming. But for people waiting to go to the gallows, the last few moments of their lives are just tormenting. Perhaps for me, I would feel it even closer to my heart, working in the Ministry of Home Affairs, and handling matters related to such in my work. Sometimes because it's all part of my job, I lose that kind of sensitivity and emotion. Looking at the photo of someone who will be going to the gallows soon, sometimes I would tell myself..this person is still alive now.. but not anymore tomorrow. And the thought is grim.

Death by itself is scary. Even those who claim that they are not afraid of dying, I believe at some points, they are not so sure themselves. Of course, as a Christian, I have the assurance that I will be going to heaven, which is a much better and more beautiful place than here, yet I can't help but wonder what is it going to be like the moment I stop breathing. How does it feel? Will I feel anything?

yet, dwelling into a topic such as this will get me nowhere, I know. It's too difficult to understand the wonderful and deep secrets of God. I only hope that while I am still living, everything I do will contribute to the latter glory that I will see.

Comments

Popular Posts