The Worst is To be unTeachable...

Everyone of us has our own flaws, weaknesses and things we don't do so well in. Some weaknesses are glaring, others less so. Some people have more weaknesses, some people have less. But the fact remains. No one is perfect. No one is blameless. Except Jesus of course.

So, the important thing is not really to be someone with no flaws and weaknesses, but to be open to criticisms and suggestions to become better. In essence, to be teachable.

This is something I have been struggling to do everyday. I admit, I have some degree of pride and defiance in me. When someone gives me negative comments about the things I do, the things I say or my attitude, I will become defensive immediately. It's hard for me to immediately accept what the other party says. But that doesn't mean I will completely ignore it. In fact, whatever feedback I get, I rewind it over and over again inside my mind until I deal with it. I will ultimately deal with it, and become very conscious of it the next time I face similar situations again, but at that point of coming face to face with the truth, I will often choose to deny it or defend myself. My hubby knows that best.

But I guess teachability is super important. Because since we are not perfect people, there are many things and areas we need to improve on, in order to become more and more like Jesus. Teachability will bring us from the place of defeat to the place of victory. It is the key that unlocks the ability to overcome.

Blind spots are things we don't see, but others do. Being teachable allows us to take opinions and comments from those who are concern for us and bother to risk our friendship just to bring to my attention things I have missed or could have done better.

But I do know teachability is not something that is present in everyone, though everyone should have it. Some people says ok ok on their mouths, but never purpose to change or improve in their hearts. These are also useless. Until the moment we listen, accept and make a decision to change our actions, we will never be better.

And there is a huge price to pay if we remain unteachable. It may well be that attitude, that mindset, that thinking, that action which has hindered our vision and dream to come to pass. It could well be that 'something' which will make our lives totally different. But if because of the defiance within us and the many excuses we give ourselves that it's not possible to change, or circumstances made it so, then we will not see the glory of God come into our lives. Is it worth it? I ask myself that question, and I know I'd rather face it and nip the problem in the bud than to sacrifice my dream.

Sometimes we hear people say the same thing over and over so much that we've grown immune to it. But that's when it gets dangerous. God brings different people to say the same things to us so that we will finally get it into our spirit. But if we choose to become indifferent to it, then too bad. God will stop trying.

Comments

Popular Posts