Attack your weakest link

Why is it so hard to get out of our weaknesses, have you wondered? Is it because we don't try hard enough? Or is it because our circumstances and situations make it so difficult for us to break out of it?

I believe it's a mixture of different factors. Yes, we sometimes don't try hard enough and allow ourselves to indulge in the situation, thinking to ourselves how difficult it is to break out of it. Sometimes we just let our emotions be led by the problems that seem to happen over & over again in a vicious cycle manner.

Yet, the devil also knows that if he can hit us again and again when we fall into the same problems, he can weaken our ability or belief that we can overcome it. That is why, you may have noticed as well, there were many instances where a familiar scenario happens, and you immediately are reminded of unhappy things that threaten your faith in God and yourself.. it's the devil reminding you to snap back to your unhappy self. I call such things 'triggers'.

For example, we may be people who easily feels that nobody trusts us. So when a friend or somebody makes a casual remark that is totally harmless, we immediately feel that the friend is against us and not trusting us. The devil will use such instances to thwart our thinking into believing something that may not be true. And immediately, we will sink back into negative thoughts & depression. This is also the stage where we become overly-sensitive and touchy.

Human beings are vulnerable creatures. We get in and out of emotions easily. One moment we may be full of faith & conviction. Another moment we may be thinking about giving it all up. The thing is, can we be people strong enough to hold ourselves up?

I fall into depression too, sometimes. When things get overwhelming and I wonder how I am going to overcome the problems. When burdens become so heavy on my shoulders and in my heart I feel it's going to collapse, I just feel like stopping all my thoughts immediately & put down everything. I am sure we all feel like this at some point or another in life.

But what differentiates us from the weak people is that we can pick ourselves up. Of course, people in such states usually cannot help themselves or take a long time to get out of it. But at least I know God has empowered us to be able to do so.

The last time I sank into depression, it took me a long time to get out, almost one month.

And I remembered vividly at that time that every single day my heart will be filled with dread & fear at what awaits me. I cannot muster a single ounce of energy to do what I need to do in order to avoid what I am fearful of. I just couldn't think any positive thoughts or believe things will turn for the better. I just can't.

The turning point came when I cried out to God for help. I asked Him in tears.. God, what to do? Have i made the wrong decision? Am I to die here? Will I get pass this?

Then suddenly the peace of God came into the room I am in, right into my heart. God didn't say a single thing. He didn't give me a Word. He didn't quote any scriptures. But all of a sudden, it felt like the burden in my heart had been lifted. It felt like nothing mattered anymore. It certainly felt like God understood. He knew what I was going through. He knew it was hard and difficult but something inevitable. To make me stronger. And ready for what is to come in the future.

Many things that happen to us, we do not understand. But God has His purposes and plans to make us stronger through it all. Friends, life may feel meaningless at some point. But don't forget, we have a heavenly Father who loves us so much. Jesus is praying for us constantly. The Holy Spirit is with us every second. Push on.

Comments

Popular Posts