It's All In the Details

Since last week, I've been sitting at Francis' workstation so that I can assist Pst Derek incase he needs anything. Beatrice is on 3-week MC and Francis is away for missions, so naturally it's become my responsibility as the zone sec of DD3 zone to help Pst. I think it's such a tremendous privilege to have the chance to serve such a great man of God. Of course, it's pretty stressful too because I seldom have the chance to talk to Pst or or work closely with him and when he called me on the phone that day, I couldn't catch his american accent that I went 'sorry?' a few times.. sigh... so pai sei.

Anyway, in the few days that I had contact with Pst Derek, I must say I am really amazed with him. Francis always tells us that Pst Derek is a very good boss. I can now understand why. Even though he is the number 3 man in a mega church, he is very approachable. Even when he is always rushing from place to place, he will always stop and listen intently when I ask him "sorry Pst, can I check with you something?". And the way he converses makes one feel really at ease and yet at the same time, full of respect for him.

Then I realised that the reason why he is who he is today as an able assistant to Pst Kong and pastor of the fastest growing adult zone in City Harvest, is because he is someone who looks into details.

People generally say that when one gets higher up the hierachy in an organisation, they will look more and more in the big picture and small details are left to those lower down. It's true, Pst Derek has so many important and big matters to look into. Yet, he never neglects the seemingly small things. If anyone thinks they can bluff their way through by leaving out some small details, Pst would know and he will question it to make sure that everything is accurate. He will think about how certain decisions will affect even the most insignificant person involved.

If we want to become someone big, we cannot afford to neglect the details. If we are forever careless and can think only on a macro scale, we will never be able to do anything significant.

Be a big picture person who looks into the details.

Comments

Kaishen said…
sis kless, you really have a servant's heart. Been on-offf reading your blog. Out of the abundance of your heart, you blog. Keep going!!!
KennethTeo said…
Totally agree with you kless, Details are of upmost importance. Been meditating upon this idea of being detailed recently too. Been wondering why did God gave moses 10 commandments when He could have summarised into just 2... Details.. But I must say, you are a very detailed person. =)

Popular Posts