My Dear Friend

My dear friend aka my room mate when I was staying in Sheares Hall during my 1st year in NUS is about to leave for UK to do her postgraduate studies. Although I don't meet up with Huiling that much after we graduated, we still make it a point to meet up at least 2 to 3 times a year. At least to celebrate birthdays. I am really glad to have made good friends like Huiling and Lilian (our next-door neighbour but always finds her way to our bed) during my NUS days. It still brings back fond memories everytime I think about it now.

Talking about Huiling, she has been talking about going overseas for studies every since I know her. As the only child in her family, she bears the responsibility of supporting her parents and the household. So to pursue her dreams, I believe it takes alot of courage & conviction. She needs to save up enough to pay for her UK studies (which is really a huge bomb) and support herself there as well as support her parents at home. She has to quit her high-paying job as a computer engineer. She has to leave her boyfriend of 6 years at home. She has to start from scratch when she comes back after her studies. Oh man, a huge price to pay for her dream.

Yet, I can't help but be amazed by her boldness and courage. When I heard how much money she had to save up in order to go, I stopped breathing for a second. It was a lot of money...

I salute you, my dear friend. And I hope that you will really enjoy & treasure every minute in UK, living out your dream. I will miss you!! See you one year later. :)


Some photos of the farewell lunch we had at my house today...

Busy in the kitchen..

The finished products... there was also fried beehoon & stir-fried veggies!


We especially liked the potato bollo - It's fried mash potato with ham strips coasted in breadcrumbs. Delicious!!!

Comments

Popular Posts