Personal - Space

When you see me blog on a wednesday morning, you know it must be something that pricked me bad.

This morning I was in a cab to work, and the taxi driver started to chat with me the moment I got in.

"So early where are you bringing your baby? Childcare centre ah?"
"Eh ya.. to my office nursery."
"Oh, so good, your office got provide such services ah.."
"Ya.. it's just next to the office."

So far so good. Just plain conversations. The came the part which irritated me.

"So you breastfeed your baby?"
"Err.. no, stop already.."
"Huh? How come? So convenient, can just go next door to breastfeed wat.."
"........ err, I don't want to do it anymore.."
"Huh? Why?? Breastfeeding, both the baby and the mother will be healthy. Baby will not fall sick. Mother will stay healthy too."
"My baby is VERY healthy."

Ok I know, a bit of attitude there. But COME ON! I feel that my personal space has been invaded! In fact, I feel harrassed!

Breastfeeding frankly is a very healthy & normal issue to talk about. I don't mind my friends asking me that. Not even my male friends. But for a taxi driver whom I have met barely for 1 minute asking me that?? And questioning me why I have stopped breastfeeding my baby? In fact, the tone he used was more like interrogating me! It's my baby, CAN? Whether I feed her formula or breastmilk or cow milk or goat milk, what business is it of his?!

Sometimes, people just forget how important respecting others' personal space is. For a stranger to stand too close to me, I will get uncomfortable for sure. But for my friends, I don't mind them coming nearer, not even putting their arms around me. You know what I mean?

Even in speech, can we be people who are conscious of this? I've met people who will lean so near and say things which are considered more 'private' or 'intimate' even to those they barely knew. To me, it's just weird la. I will not hesitate to show my discomfort & frustration by stepping back or turning away. If it's a girl, I may tolerate. But it's a boy, I would immediately think that the guy is trying to be funny. Hello? Anybody there??

Everyone has a personal space. Some has a bigger space, some smaller. But the important thing is that we must be aware of the importance of this personal space. Once we invade into the personal space without mutual consent, it will just cause distress and embarrassment. It also shows that we are not people who are sensitive enough.

Personal space, please!

Comments

Lynnette said…
ahaha.. if it was me.. i'd have sent blasted him to Mars.. muahaha!!!

but seriously.. the best way to deal with such people is to turn the tables back on them...and give him the truth.. how????
ask that cab driver "ah yo.. Uncle arh.. this type of things you not paiseh to ask huh?... i'm paiseh to talk about it leh.. "

to me.. asking such questions like that is like asking me about my weight.. muahahaha.. very sensitive..

but it also depends on who lah.. I mean. If it's your discipler.. you'd be more comfortable.. but if it's like some stranger.. well.. the person better know what they're in for man!

they say honestly is the best policy.. so maybe being plain honest and telling the "stranger" the truth could be the best alternative for you..
KennethTeo said…
You noted his cab number? We can find 4 people who drives and when we spot him on the e-way, we can surround him and send him all the way to Changi or Jurong depending on which direction he is driving towards...

Popular Posts