It's All About Relationships

Undoubtedly, everything in life anchors upon relationships.

When there is relationship, anything is possible. Because of the relationship I have with God, I know I can pray and God will listen. Because of the relationship I have with my husband, I know he will listen & understand when I share my heart with him. Because of the relationship I have with my Pastors, I am willing to go the extra mile to serve them. Indeed, without relationships, everything becomes a little more difficult.

Recently, I've been pondering about this issue. In different parts of my life, I have served different great leaders. Seasons change and as I move on to different phases in my life, I have been given the chance to serve different leaders and pastors. With each new encounter, the realisation that relationships are so important grows even stronger.

What is the difference between having a relationship and not having one? As a Christian, I grew up being taught that I must respect my leaders and honour the calling of God upon their lives. Therefore, if a leader has been placed over my life, whether I 'know' him or her well enough, I will still serve with the best of my ability. But actually, there is a difference.

When I first became Pst Audrey's zone secretary, I didn't know her that well obviously. To me, she was one of the pioneers of the church, having fought alongside with Pastor Kong for many years. During that period, I did my job as a secretary as what the job description dictates. All that mattered to me then, was that I accomplished all that was required of me as a secretary.

Then as I got to know Pastor more and more, and the relationship slowly built up, the love for her also grew in my heart and I begun to have the desire to want to do more for her. As I hear her share about her vision and burden for the church, I found myself asking the question, "What can I do to help her?"

So I realised, relationships pushes us to go the extra mile willingly. Beyond our call of duty.
If the relationship does not exist, then I will just do the bare minimum.

Just like for my friends whom I have relationships with, I will not hesitate to do anything for them. If they need a favour, they know I will not refuse them. Simply because of the relationship we have.

I guess this became even more evident to me especially after every birthday. I am reminded of how good God is to me, by giving me great relationships in my life - Good families, friends and mentors. They watch over me, bless me & encourage me. In a way, I am who I am today largely because of them.

Thank God for good relationships. =)

Comments

Serene said…
Ya, I totally agree with you... when there isn't any relationship, the things we do will be just out of duty, but when the relationship is developed, we find ourselves going that extra miles, beyond the call of our duty just to do certain things for the other.
Kristie said…
ya...relationships are the key ingredient to staying alive.. to me, over the years, i also learnt... when you have a relationship, it become a service of love, rather than duty.

Popular Posts