None of these!

“Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.”    Psalms 1:1

 

Noah Webster's Dictionary - ‘Wicked’

1. (a.) Not godly; not having regard for God; disobedient to God; wicked; impious; sinful.

2. (a.) Polluted by sin or wickedness.

Noah Webster's Dictionary – ‘Mocker’

1. (n.) One who, or that which, mocks; a scorner; a scoffer; a derider.

2. (n.) A deceiver; an impostor.

3. (n.) A mocking bird.

Before I came on full-time as a church staff, I worked in several companies before. My first job was at a small family company of 5 people, then I moved on to work in a super huge company known as the Ministry of Home Affairs, Singapore. It was a whole world of difference between the two companies, as you can tell. But I realized that no matter where I was working, I will always encounter situations where I am tested in the area of integrity and character.

You know how we are in this world but not of this world? Much as we want to insulate ourselves from the greed, evil, pride and wickedness in this world, it’s really not very possible to do so completely. Even if we do not like it, we are  surrounded constantly by people who strife against us, and those who takes it upon themselves to challenge our belief systems and faith.

Our boss may be someone like that. And even though we may not like it, we have to take instructions from him or her. Our performance is being evaluated by him or her, and so are our year-end bonuses. Do we compromise in order to please? Do we swallow our pride in order to gain the favor of these people?

While the line is thin, I do firmly believe that it is possible to get into the good books of our bosses, and make it impossible for them to deny our good performance at work, even though they do not share the same belief systems as us. They may not believe in Jesus, but who can ignore basic good character like efficiency, honesty, uprightness, creativity and initiative?

I can be blessed when I CHOOSE not to walk in the counsel of the wicked. As I think about this, I believe it’s got to do with the friends I associate myself with. Very often, we take in advice from our friends who tell us what to do when we don’t know what to do. Apart from our spiritual leaders and peers, I got to distinct myself from the rest who may not give me ‘sound counsel’. Maybe their advice sound good and plausible, but if they do not  know Jesus, do I want to take any of their counsel? Will I benefit from what they tell me, based on their past experiences in life? They do not know God, and naturally do not have any regard for God or things to do with the kingdom of God. If I have to listen to a counsel, I make sure it’s godly counsel.

Mockers are everywhere. When I don’t pay attention to my thoughts, I can easily become a mocker unknowingly. You know how sometimes we look at certain things or events, we laugh in our hearts at how silly it is? Even if I may not say it out, my heart already condemned it. And that’s horrible. The bible says that we are not to judge, for in the same measure we judge others, we will also be judged in the same way. I certainly know myself well enough to know that if God chooses to judge me for what I’ve done, I’m gone!

I want to be blessed in everything that I do. And so, I do not want to pay attention to ungodly counsel, do what the sinners do or take the seat of a mocker. I want the works of my hands to be tremendously blessed and multiplied by God, everyday of my life.

Comments

Popular Posts