An Unteachable Spirit is Really Undesirable...

What really hurts God? I ask myself that question often. And I realised that one of the many things would be an unteachable spirit. Simply because God knows how weak we are, and that it is expected that we will sin & do wrong things. But God would expect that we are teachable enough to change when He tells us to. God chastens those He loves, and those who loves His instructions are wise. But if we insist on doing things the way we want to, without taking heed from God or God-inspired words from spiritual leaders placed over our lives, it can lead to many heartaches, both in the hearts of our leaders, as well as God.

An unteachable spirit stems from pride. And God hates pride. Pride is the thing that caused the downfall of Lucifer and man. Pride can well be that element stopping us from reaching our best-possible-destiny.

Most people are proud and unteachable, even though we may like to think we are not. Alot of times, advice or scoldings come and we rebuke them or despise them, thinking that we know best ourselves. An unteachable spirit will bring forth a defensive spirit - one that tries to find all kinds of excuses to explain one's actions. But I've come to realise that when things go wrong, even if there are 101 genuine reasons, they are still, at best, excuses.

It's of course not worth it to hinder our spiritual growth because of an unteachable spirit. First of all, our God who determines our destiny hates it. Secondly, it makes us unlikeable because sooner or later, our friends, parents and leaders will know that we are some sort unteachable, and will of course hesitate to chasten or teach in future. An unteachable spirit will lose friends because it will only choose to listen to advice they like, or to people they favour. An unteachable spirit will prevent one from growing to our maximum capacity. How sad.

I am guilty of an unteachable spirit at times. There were many times I'd fight the advice/ discipleship of my leaders in my heart, even though on my mouth, I may say 'yes', 'yes'... But I really do try my best to be conscious of this fact and try to become more teachable over the years. The ability to admit that 'I am wrong', or 'I can do it better' does not come easy. It requires us to crucify our flesh and admit that sometimes, we don't know best.

The worse is when we don't even know or not even aware that we have an unteachable spirirt. That's just a sad thing because we miss out on all the best options God has destined for us. If we don't become better, we can never lay hold of what better things instore for us.

Friends, don't be an unteachable spirit. Fight that spirit with all your might!

Comments

Popular Posts