Revival begins from the heart

It's a sad truth but it seems that the people who will bring new frens to church are those who are new in the faith themselves. Actually, naturally so in a sense because we get all excited when we first receive the love of Christ in our lives such that it becomes a strong motivation for us to want to share this love with someone else. As time passes on, it seems that we all settle into an inevitable sense of comfort and ease.

Recently, I had a newcomer in my cell group called Mingjie. He was brought to church by my second youngest member, Yuhao. Mingjie has attended service only three times, but already he and Yuhao are strategizing about who to target to bring to church soon. I was so encouraged by the both of them when they told me gleefully that Yuhao will concentrate on the guys and Mingjie will concentrate on the gals. Although Mingjie jokingly told me that it's because more gals are attracted to him, I still think that it's a great attitude to even think of spreading the gospel to people around them.

The same thing happened when Yihui first joined us. He and Ivan would work together to meet the needs of friends and win them to church. It's the kind of partnership and synergy that makes soul winning easier.

It thus makes me wonder whether the younger Christians are the more fervent ones in this kingdom. It appears so.

But I guess as 'old' Christians, we must constantly remind ourselves that we must never forget the Great Commission. What we are called to do in this life is not only to worship God and serve Him, but to also do His will - that is to save everyone who is still lost in this world. It is important because we always forget about it. It seems that the older we get, the less non-Christian friends we have to reach out to. Or maybe because the group that we can reach out to becomes smaller because we've asked all that we can, and after multiple rejections, we just give up hope on some of them. Well, it can be very sad if our lives are like that, though.

Of course there are always Christians who never slacks in their soul winning. Estee is a great example of someone who always reaches out and because of her influence, she has brought many people to church before. Though not all may stay, yet the seed planted in their hearts will bring forth much fruits, I am sure. Sometimes when I get discouraged about soul winning, I am reminded of this great sister and I push on somemore, feeling somehow, it's not gonna be so difficult afterall.

And I do know that every one of my cell group members are making efforts to win their friends to God too. I believe it's in everyone's heart, just that our level of commitment to this Great Commission differs. Some believe it at the basic level, others at a much higher level. Let's make it a personal decision to move up this level of commitment to the Great Commission so that we can become true Fishers of Man. And be a channel that spreads the love of Jesus to everyone around us. : )

Comments

Popular Posts