Thick & Thin

Sometimes I wish i have thicker skin. No, I REALLY mean it. My skin is so thin that I get embarrassed easily and I take a longer time than some people to face those that I've offended or been scolded by.

Don't know is it because I've seldom been scolded or chided nowadays that my 'immunity' towards scoldings have decreased. Even if it's not a scolding, but a kind reminder from my leader can leave me feeling totally embarrassed with a real bad feeling inside my guts. My skin seemed to have grown so thin that I need a longer time to face such things now. That's not good right?

I mean, discipleship is always essential and to have a teachable heart will allow us to grow much faster. Not that my heart is not teachable now, because I am sure it is, but a thick skin will help me to get through my issues quicker and not spend too much time dwelling on the emotional part of it. Ah.. I think I got to the core of the issue.

It's amazing what blogging can do sometimes. In the midst of blogging, I sometimes struggle to find the right words to express how I really feel. But when I do, I make myself see clearer and I better understand how I really feel.

The truth of the matter is everyone makes mistakes. And even if you are one of those rare ones who doesn't make any mistakes, there is always room for you to improve. So, to be able to keep growing & improving ourselves, we got to have a heart that is open to receive corrections and a skin that is thick enough to be able to take it.

Thick skin does not mean we become immune about correction or discipleship, but it places us in a position to receive, act on it and become better in a much faster pace. Getting overly emotional or affected by it will just halt everything until we are able to sort out our feelings. This is something I am trying to learn now. Because I have thin skin, I always get very miserable when I receive corrections.

Maybe inside me, there is a teeny weeny defiance and rebellion which comes against a teachable heart. But this is OK, isn't it? I am not a perfect being and I will never be until I go to heaven. Life is a series of work-in-progresses and as long as I am always improving, always pursuing a greater purity, always striving to love God and people more, to me, that's enough. And I believe God honours that.

I want to be a person with a soft heart and thick skin. I want to be resilient against challenges in life. I want to be a worksmanship that God can be proud of. I want to become who God wants me to be, ultimately. Help me, Jesus, for only You can. Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts